Skip to main content

How To Know A Fairy Tale Romance

He who pretends never to see wrongs suffers the pain most.

I still couldn’t believe Nigeria and it’s fairy-tale. When I was  growing I used to believe that everything about Nigeria was a cock and bull

story, in fact, a fairy story. Always feeling disappointed at Nigeria. I nearly doubted if Nigeria had something good to offer in near fufure. Could it be the result of African man IQ which had to do with greed and selfishness that was still keeping Nigeria behind. I couldn’t answer that.

Surprising I was in the house when I heard English Teacher teaching the students in air. It was magic fm 102.9 Aba city, Abia State, Nigeria. I couldn’t believe my ears until I heard from the English teacher giving the topic “figures of speech" I tried to pay rapt attention, it was true, in air teaching was real in Abia State, if so it was also going on in Anambra State because Anambra State and Imo State government were first to initiate this radio, television and online teaching, no doubt I got the announcement before now but doubted the abilities of an African child to cope. Truth be told Africans are not really digitally inclined and equipped. So it was going to be difficult for them to align to the new method of teaching and learning. Coupled with the fact that majority of these children are not ready to learn. They never wanted to help themselves, all they ever wanted is to start making money in billions.

The best discipline is the one you give yourself.

It was shocking and frowning, and despicable to see the supposed students whom the teacher was shouting and stressing her throat to teach them in air, playing football at every street I entered. Other playing other games like tennis, scrabble, skipping and the others. I drew a conclusion that indeed Nigerian students didn’t know the value of education and Nigerians value already made. This sounds irritating but it's true! No willingness to change because they had not given changing to their low mentality a thought. This time it wasn’t the fault of federal authorities or regulatory bodies but Nigerian teens and youths. 

I found that some of these children’s parents had set high goals for them in life and had big dreams for their children but they prefer to grow as touts. Being inquisitive about their attitude toward education, they would say that learning is not the end to success. They needed means which was employment, creation of job opportunity to motivate them and serve as a means to success end. Who do we blame? 

I could see children playing football, playing in the streets. One would ask, are they not the same students who are expected to be at their homes listening to the Radio set and placing their ears on the radiohead to learn? I began to ask myself how possible it was for pupils and students to learn online? Yet they would boldly say we are in jet age. Oh, yes! Computer age rather! Yet Africans especially are far behind modernization.

I could remember vividly how my Junior Secondary School 3 students would want to time me whenever I tutor them in class, in fact, they were busy timing my lecture sessions. "Corper please round off I want to go to Onitsha to cross-check activities in my shop," one of them said to me. I was like awe! Really! This students value money more than education even life itself. This left me with worries. Would such student ever concentrate during learning and teaching period. Such mind would be in the market while the body in class. 

Such students are the leaders of tomorrow? Aren't they going to be same political poisons to embezzle government funds and come out in social media that snake swallowed billions and monkey made away with lofty amounts without trace? Yet of course masses would definitely buy the news because if you talk you die, if you don't you will still die.

Never assume that loud is strong and quiet is weak.

Those students are ready to play like their fathers. Imagine students who were in class toasting their female teachers-talking of the male students, I heard one loud, wispering loudly to his classmates that he was going to ask me out for friendship. It was awful to my ears, as haughty as it was I ignored. They were not just wayward but lacked proper and sound upbringing. I even heard they rape their teachers by hiding in secret places to wait on their victims.

It was also during this period news came to us that one of our fellow female corps members in one of the Eastern States was impregnated by a Junior Secondary School 3 student. It really baffled me but who knows how it happened. Those students in different communities could be deadly and beastly. They have gangs and groups, practicing secret court or fraternity activities. Exercising exortic exuberance of youths. Though most of them were only in their puberty stage, venturing on deadly demonstrations already.

So Corona came and government decided that these same students would be put through air and online learning? Little wonder we were given orientation in camp not to whip any student no matter the offense, we better report to their permanent teachers. Ruth was mean to them and always either flogging or scolding them. She was punishing them if she noticed misconduct, but never knew they were planning against her. Assuming it could be why she travelled with her colleague, a male from Plateau state only to return and see no pin left for them. Those thieves made away with all their bag, including their corps uniforms. The National Youths Service Corps (NYSC) kit. So sad!

Life is manifesting your destiny.

Hope, please don't flog any student, so that they dont hate you," Onyeka my friend from Anambra State once advised me. Now I understood, he grew up in the village and he knew how crazy village boys and students can be. He never wanted them to hurt me. These were same students government believed to study online and in air. What a badedas! A waste of time and another means of embezzling government funds in the guise of educating student through COVID-19—at home learning.

Cherity begins at home, while parents are bringing up their children in goldly and fearful way, government should make effort to advance our learning process and equip especially government owned schools in our communities. Improving technical skills by building technical learning centres to keep our teens and youths busy and empowered and for IT learning for in time like CoronaVirus pandemic.


Read related stories,

Why you don't need meanness to run this race called life

The myth of leadership 

Everybody was a victim of CoronaVirus pandemic

My first parade in National Youths Service Corps Orientation 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things That qualify A Good Woman

Your attitude can define you terrible person. Aunty Oby was a very terrible lady in her 50s. At NYSC camp Umunya she was proving tough lady, at times she would come looking pregnant and other times she would look not pregnant. But non of the camp officials was leaving the camp to see their families for the whole three weeks. As the corps members were in the camp, the remain there with us. During the three weeks orientation, she was trying to be friendly and nice but she was a mean type and couldn't work perfectly to disguise her true personality traits.  Read also ,  you don't need meanness to run this race called life . She was so mean not even her feign smile could conceal it.  In camp I was always busy walking around with pen and paper. When we were on the parade ground, or the pavilion and even on the lecture hall. Even if I forgot my jotter, I would take any paper I had with me to scrabble down something and this had become a routine to me and people around me, corps membe

My Only Comfort When I Was About To Give Up On Life

Little act that breaks a feeble heart; love, little show of kindness can revive a dying soul. It was my final year in high institution, I really  wanted to go for National Youth Service Corps. Sometimes when we want big things, we

How To Make Yourself Happy When You Are Sad

The best thing you can do to embrace peace of mind is to fall in love with life. It was a beautiful sunday, I wouldn't want my day to be boring so I took a quick decision on how I wanted my day to be. When I returned from church, I freshened up, found something to eat. I dressed up on my short dark blue jeans gown. I wore my black sneakers, wearing my wig to cover my weaved hair, I left the house. I was looking very happy and in my heart I felt I had already found Mr right. It started in the morning when I woke up, there was a bubbling joy in my heart that I felt fulfilled. When I dressed up in the morning to go to church, walking down the sand path in the street could be very irritable. Old Orlu road could have such a lumpy sand land. I tried jumping a heap of sand suddenly I heard a crack. It was my jean skirt. "This skirt I just sewed two days ago," I thought. Anger and regret filled my heart, I tried going to church with the torn skirt but my heart couldn't help c