Skip to main content

The Need To Protect The Girl Child

Women are very unique and are very difficult for men to understand. 

As I walked out of the house that morning, with cheerful look not minding that my immediate elder brother scolded at me last night, I moved

my legs boldly but in my heart I was thinking neighbours might have heard his voice last night when he was scolding me. So when I walked out of gate, I walked away not with high velocity but I intended moving in a slow pace but I can't really maintain it. Suddenly I moved my legs faster.

I know that people had known me with this fast movement whenever I am going for work every morning. When I reached at a place I saw one of our neighbours who had made it a duty to leave her house very early every morning to sit with a petty trader down the road. This lady had a two year old daughter. It was heard that the man who got her pregnant with the child who was the baby girl's supposed father lives in Senegal.

Since I came to live with my brother I had been seeing her with different street guys. Most of them were motorists popularly known as motorcyclists as well as touts roaming aimlessly around the street. When I came newly she came to our flat one morning and my brother introduced me to her as our flat mate. But when she left he told me to be careful with her that she was good at gossips. 

I knew I was very bad at making friends so what he was saying to me didn't make any meaning to me. So the next day I began to see her sit in a shop down the lane. Whenever I passed through the shop I must see her sitting in a bench in the  woman's shop, discussing people. My brother confirmed she had been like that since he packed in the neighborhood.

One month later she stopped sitting in the woman's shop. I started seeing her in a newly opened shop. Where I have gone to iron my dress once which the woman converted the laundry to construct kiost in front of the laundry. I began to wonder why she was no longer sitting in the former woman's shop any more.

I couldn't tell if I was beginning to imagine things because I didn't know how to start asking and who to ask was also a problem. Until my sister in-law said her husband told her somethingwho supposedly was the cause of the sudden change of location. Because the woman got tired of her amoral essess how she continued running after every guy in the street to the extent those guys began to abuse her behind. Discussing to every other guy in the street how she had cheaply given away her body to them. She decided to advise her but she misinterpreted it and got upset with the woman and that was why she stopped going to her shop.

This morning when I left the house stepping down the street there she was, my mind skipped as I remembered what happened last night I believed she heard it likewise other neighbours. I didn't know how to start feeling. "Why was my elder brother bent at ceasing every opportunity to embarrass me," I wondered. 

When I walked down approaching towards the junction a white car stopped and "hello, you are going to the junction, come into the car," he said. "Don't worry I am almost there," I said. After much hesitation and persistence I decided to hop into the car because I was running late for work already so this seemed like an opportunity for  free ride. When I was in the car, "the noise is because of your seat belt. Use your seat belt," he said and immediately I girdled myself with the seat belt. 

When we were approaching our workshop, can I please have your contact? There is nothing I didn't do just to make sure I didn't give out my phone. And sudden I replied, "stop in front of this white car". "What about your phone contact," he said. "My phone is switched off," I replied casually but he still insisted but I came out of the car, thanked him and left.

Surprisingly the following day, walking very fast to work, "hi madam, he called out. I looked up and saw it was him. Though he told me his name but I didn't put it to heart. So when he called I only turned instinctively and continued walking toward my direction. 

When you lack self control you lose your self worth.

It was a Tuesday morning, I knew I left few minute pass the working time, which means I was late already but I couldn't do anything but to hurriedly walk without turning back. Just exactly that same point he met me the other day he gave me a lift. Now he called out again. What is his problem exactly, "oh, you again," he told me he was married the first day we met and still wanted to have contact. What would I do with a married man. Though some ladies deliberately date married men for the reason I wouldn't tell. Some said they take good care of ladies more than single guys. For me I didn't know what they are talking about because I haven't dated single nor married though.

I was late for work I had no choice than to enter the car. Why things happen when we get to our workshop I told me to stop but before then he talked about having my contact again but this time I told him I am engaged. Because I eavesdropped on his conversation on phone earlier when I came into the car. He was talking about leaving Owerri that he was done with his mission. "Like you want to leave Owerri?" I asked curiously. "Yes, I want to leave the country," he said. He is traveling that alone wouldn't change my mind. I have already told him my mind I wouldn't want to deceive him. He was such understanding young man, he bade my "goodbye".

Men would always make passes at you that didn't make you special, hence most times they come for their own selfish interest. It is in your position to be yourself and implore sense of dignity and self control those make you unique and attract people's respect.


Read related posts 

5 things that disqualify a good woman

How to make a woman feel loved

Best ways to make good friends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things That qualify A Good Woman

Your attitude can define you terrible person. Aunty Oby was a very terrible lady in her 50s. At NYSC camp Umunya she was proving tough lady, at times she would come looking pregnant and other times she would look not pregnant. But non of the camp officials was leaving the camp to see their families for the whole three weeks. As the corps members were in the camp, the remain there with us. During the three weeks orientation, she was trying to be friendly and nice but she was a mean type and couldn't work perfectly to disguise her true personality traits.  Read also ,  you don't need meanness to run this race called life . She was so mean not even her feign smile could conceal it.  In camp I was always busy walking around with pen and paper. When we were on the parade ground, or the pavilion and even on the lecture hall. Even if I forgot my jotter, I would take any paper I had with me to scrabble down something and this had become a routine to me and people around me, corps membe

My Only Comfort When I Was About To Give Up On Life

Little act that breaks a feeble heart; love, little show of kindness can revive a dying soul. It was my final year in high institution, I really  wanted to go for National Youth Service Corps. Sometimes when we want big things, we

How To Make Yourself Happy When You Are Sad

The best thing you can do to embrace peace of mind is to fall in love with life. It was a beautiful sunday, I wouldn't want my day to be boring so I took a quick decision on how I wanted my day to be. When I returned from church, I freshened up, found something to eat. I dressed up on my short dark blue jeans gown. I wore my black sneakers, wearing my wig to cover my weaved hair, I left the house. I was looking very happy and in my heart I felt I had already found Mr right. It started in the morning when I woke up, there was a bubbling joy in my heart that I felt fulfilled. When I dressed up in the morning to go to church, walking down the sand path in the street could be very irritable. Old Orlu road could have such a lumpy sand land. I tried jumping a heap of sand suddenly I heard a crack. It was my jean skirt. "This skirt I just sewed two days ago," I thought. Anger and regret filled my heart, I tried going to church with the torn skirt but my heart couldn't help c